Recap of the REVOLVER Golden God Awards
Last night was arguably the metal equivalent to the Grammys. But if you were too busy or too drunk to watch the black carpet being rolled out, TBOS brings you the highlights of the Revolver Golden Gods 2013.
Anthrax and (Half of) Pantera Play Tribute to Jeff Hanneman
Anthrax opened the show with guest appearances by Phil Anselmo and Rex Brown by Pantera. They performed “This Love” and part of “Raining Blood” as a tribute to Jeff Hanneman, who passed away yesterday morning.
Afterwards, Kerry King held a “moment of noise” (instead of a moment of silence) in order to honor his fallen bandmate.
The Dillinger Escape Plan Perform With Chino Moreno
In perhaps the most controversial event of the night, The Dillinger Escape Plan put on a bloody performance alongside Deftones’ Chino Moreno.
Halestorm and David Draiman Cover “Whole Lotta Love”
Distrubed/Device frontman David Draiman and Halestorm covered the Led Zeppelin classic, giving both powerhouse singers the opportunity to show off their chops.
Five Finger Death Punch Perform with Rob Halford and Rob Zombie
5FDP performed alongside the legendary Judas Priest frontman and horror mastermind.
Slipknot and Stone Sour Cover Sabbath
After Stone Sour played songs from their House of Gold and Bones series, Slipknot’s Clown and Chris Fehn joined Corey Taylor’s other band onstage to perform “Children of the Grave”.
Danzig Plays Misfits Classics
Danzig played a five-song set featuring hits like “Last Caress” and “Mother”. Misfits guitarist Doyle von Frankenstein joined him, and his guitar broke at the end.
Metallica Gets the Lifetime Achievement Award, Play With Rob Halford
Metallica received the ended the show with a four-song set, opening with “Disposable Heroes”. Rob Halford joined in during “Rapid Fire”.
- Ghost B.C.’s Papa Emeritus II removed his hat when presenting an award in order to honor Jeff Hanneman.
- After winning the Song of the Year award, Black Veil Brides were apparently booed by the crowd and decided to respond by insulting the audience.
The full list of winners can be seen below:
– John 5 (Rob Zombie & solo)
– Stephen Carpenter (Deftones) – Alex Lifeson (Rush) – Misha Mansoor (Periphery) – Brendon Small (Dethklok)
– Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)
– Abe Cunningham (Deftones) – Mario Duplantier (Gojira)
– Arejay Hale (Halestorm)
– Gene Hoglan (Dethklok & Testament)
– Roy Mayorga (Stone Sour) – Neil Peart (Rush)
PAUL GRAY BEST BASSIST
– Rex Brown (Kill Devil Hill) – Steve Harris (Iron Maiden & solo)
– Lemmy Kilmister (Motörhead)
– Geddy Lee (Rush) – Jason Newsted (Newsted) – Sergio Vega (Deftones)
– Phil Anselmo (Down & solo) – Maria Brink (In This Moment) – Chris Cornell (Soundgarden) – Lzzy Hale (Halestorm) – Chino Moreno (Deftones)
– Corey Taylor (Stone Sour & Slipknot)
BEST NEW TALENT
– Ghost – Kvelertak – Miss May I – Of Mice & Men
– Young Guns
MOST METAL ATHLETE
– Tom Crabtree (Green Bay Packers, NFL) – Tanner Faust (Rally and drifting car racing) – Clay Guida (Mixed Martial Arts fighting, UFC)
– Triple H (WWE wrestling)
– Geoff Rowley (Skateboarding) – CJ Wilson (Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, MLB)
BEST LIVE BAND
– Anthrax – Five Finger Death Punch – Hatebreed – Lamb of God
COMEBACK OF THE YEAR
– Aerosmith – The Darkness – Quicksand – Refused – Soundgarden
– Tenacious D
SONG OF THE YEAR
– Asking Alexandria, “Run Free” – Avenged Sevenfold, “Carry On”
– Black Veil Brides, “In The End”
– Dethklok, “I Ejaculate Fire”
– Halestorm, “Love Bites (So Do I)” – In This Moment, “Blood”
MOST DEDICATED FANS
– Black Label Society – Black Veil Brides – A Day To Remember
– Rammstein – Slipknot
ALBUM OF THE YEAR
– Deftones, Koi No Yokan
– Gojira, L’Enfant Sauvage – Halestorm, The Strange Case of… – Marilyn Manson, Born Villain – Soundgarden, King Animal – Stone Sour, House of Gold & Bones Part 1
Do you think the winners were deserving of their awards? Do you think some of the performances were outstanding or sub-par? Sound off in the comments section!
May 3, 2013 | Categories: Heavy Metal, Music News | Tags: 5FDP, Anthrax, arejay hale, black veil brides, chino moreno, chris fehn, clown, corey taylor, danzig, David Draiman, Deftones, Device, Dillinger Escape Plan, Disturbed, five finger death punch, glenn danzig, golden god awards, golden god awards winners, golden god winners, golden gods, Halestorm, HIM, jeff hanneman, john 5, Judas Priest, kerry king, koi no yokan, led zeppelin, Lemmy, Lzzy Hale, Metallica, misfits, pantera, phil anselmo, raining blood, revolver, revolver golden god awards 2013, Rob Halford, Rob Zombie, Slayer, Slipknot, tenacious d, the dillinger escape plan, this love, triple h, whole lotta love, wolfgang von frankenstiein | 2 Comments