Last night was arguably the metal equivalent to the Grammys. But if you were too busy or too drunk to watch the black carpet being rolled out, TBOS brings you the highlights of the Revolver Golden Gods 2013.
Anthrax and (Half of) Pantera Play Tribute to Jeff Hanneman
Anthrax opened the show with guest appearances by Phil Anselmo and Rex Brown by Pantera. They performed “This Love” and part of “Raining Blood” as a tribute to Jeff Hanneman, who passed away yesterday morning.
Afterwards, Kerry King held a “moment of noise” (instead of a moment of silence) in order to honor his fallen bandmate.
The Dillinger Escape Plan Perform With Chino Moreno
In perhaps the most controversial event of the night, The Dillinger Escape Plan put on a bloody performance alongside Deftones’ Chino Moreno.
Halestorm and David Draiman Cover “Whole Lotta Love”
Distrubed/Device frontman David Draiman and Halestorm covered the Led Zeppelin classic, giving both powerhouse singers the opportunity to show off their chops.
Five Finger Death Punch Perform with Rob Halford and Rob Zombie
5FDP performed alongside the legendary Judas Priest frontman and horror mastermind.
Slipknot and Stone Sour Cover Sabbath
After Stone Sour played songs from their House of Gold and Bones series, Slipknot’s Clown and Chris Fehn joined Corey Taylor’s other band onstage to perform “Children of the Grave”.
Danzig Plays Misfits Classics
Danzig played a five-song set featuring hits like “Last Caress” and “Mother”. Misfits guitarist Doyle von Frankenstein joined him, and his guitar broke at the end.
Metallica Gets the Lifetime Achievement Award, Play With Rob Halford
Metallica received the ended the show with a four-song set, opening with “Disposable Heroes”. Rob Halford joined in during “Rapid Fire”.
- Ghost B.C.’s Papa Emeritus II removed his hat when presenting an award in order to honor Jeff Hanneman.
- After winning the Song of the Year award, Black Veil Brides were apparently booed by the crowd and decided to respond by insulting the audience.
The full list of winners can be seen below:
– John 5 (Rob Zombie & solo)
– Stephen Carpenter (Deftones) – Alex Lifeson (Rush) – Misha Mansoor (Periphery) – Brendon Small (Dethklok)
– Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)
– Abe Cunningham (Deftones) – Mario Duplantier (Gojira)
– Arejay Hale (Halestorm)
– Gene Hoglan (Dethklok & Testament)
– Roy Mayorga (Stone Sour) – Neil Peart (Rush)
PAUL GRAY BEST BASSIST
– Rex Brown (Kill Devil Hill) – Steve Harris (Iron Maiden & solo)
– Lemmy Kilmister (Motörhead)
– Geddy Lee (Rush) – Jason Newsted (Newsted) – Sergio Vega (Deftones)
– Phil Anselmo (Down & solo) – Maria Brink (In This Moment) – Chris Cornell (Soundgarden) – Lzzy Hale (Halestorm) – Chino Moreno (Deftones)
– Corey Taylor (Stone Sour & Slipknot)
BEST NEW TALENT
– Ghost – Kvelertak – Miss May I – Of Mice & Men
– Young Guns
MOST METAL ATHLETE
– Tom Crabtree (Green Bay Packers, NFL) – Tanner Faust (Rally and drifting car racing) – Clay Guida (Mixed Martial Arts fighting, UFC)
– Triple H (WWE wrestling)
– Geoff Rowley (Skateboarding) – CJ Wilson (Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, MLB)
BEST LIVE BAND
– Anthrax – Five Finger Death Punch – Hatebreed – Lamb of God
COMEBACK OF THE YEAR
– Aerosmith – The Darkness – Quicksand – Refused – Soundgarden
– Tenacious D
SONG OF THE YEAR
– Asking Alexandria, “Run Free” – Avenged Sevenfold, “Carry On”
– Black Veil Brides, “In The End”
– Dethklok, “I Ejaculate Fire”
– Halestorm, “Love Bites (So Do I)” – In This Moment, “Blood”
MOST DEDICATED FANS
– Black Label Society – Black Veil Brides – A Day To Remember
– Rammstein – Slipknot
ALBUM OF THE YEAR
– Deftones, Koi No Yokan
– Gojira, L’Enfant Sauvage – Halestorm, The Strange Case of… – Marilyn Manson, Born Villain – Soundgarden, King Animal – Stone Sour, House of Gold & Bones Part 1
Do you think the winners were deserving of their awards? Do you think some of the performances were outstanding or sub-par? Sound off in the comments section!
May 3, 2013 | Categories: Heavy Metal, Music News | Tags: 5FDP, Anthrax, arejay hale, black veil brides, chino moreno, chris fehn, clown, corey taylor, danzig, David Draiman, Deftones, Device, Dillinger Escape Plan, Disturbed, five finger death punch, glenn danzig, golden god awards, golden god awards winners, golden god winners, golden gods, Halestorm, HIM, jeff hanneman, john 5, Judas Priest, kerry king, koi no yokan, led zeppelin, Lemmy, Lzzy Hale, Metallica, misfits, pantera, phil anselmo, raining blood, revolver, revolver golden god awards 2013, Rob Halford, Rob Zombie, Slayer, Slipknot, tenacious d, the dillinger escape plan, this love, triple h, whole lotta love, wolfgang von frankenstiein | 2 Comments
This week in metal was a hard one to cover due to the excitement surrounding NAMM. So here are the highlights of this week:
- Ozzfest Japan 2013 will take place in May and feature Black Sabbath. Other bands include: Slipknot, Slash featuring Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators, Deftones, Tool, The Treatment, Dir En Grey and Steel Panther.
- Dave Mustaine revealed that Megadeth will embark on a short tour with Iron Maiden in Spain, Italy, and France. He said that Megadeth is nearly finished recording their fourteenth album, but did not reveal what record label they have signed with. Mustaine also gave some hints as to what bands will be on Gigantour 2013. He said they are “notorious bad boys”. Perhaps they will tour with Mötley Crüe once again?
- Dee Snider (Twisted Sister) was the subject of an all-star roast featuring Lita Ford, Zakk Wylde and Jim Norton.
- Ray Burton, father of deceased Metallica bassist Cliff Burton, signed autographs at the ARIA Guitars booth at NAMM.
- Drummer Tommy Aldridge rejoined Whitesnake.
- A preview of the new 3D Guns N’ Roses concert film is now available.
- L.A. Guns posted the first photo of their new lineup featuring guitarist Michael Grant (Endeverafter).
- A preview of the new Motörhead book “Roadkill” went online.
- Geoff Tate’s Queensryche revealed a new lineup.
- The Dillinger Escape Plan and Trapped Under Ice were added to New England Metal and Hardcore Fest.
- A Sepultura biography is due for release later this year.
- Roadrunner Records signed Kvelertak.
- Poison drummer Rikki Rockett will star in a new reality series called “American Drums”.
- Flotsam and Jetsam bassist Jason Ward will not be joining the band on their upcoming tour with Testament and Overkill due to family commitments.
- Drummer Lyle Cooper quits The Faceless.
- A rumored lineup of Mayhem Fest includes Rob Zombie, Amon Amarth, Deftones, and Children of Bodom. The official lineup will be released Mar.18.
Thus concludes TBOS’s “This Week In Metal”.
January 27, 2013 | Categories: Glam Metal, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Music, Music News, Speed Metal, Thrash Metal | Tags: American Drums, Amon Amarth, ARIA guitars, Black Sabbath, Children of Bodom, Cliff Burton, Dave Mustaine, David Ellefson, Dean guitars, Dee Snider, Deftones, Dillinger Escape Plan, Dir En Grey, Endeverafter, Flotsam and Jetsam, Geezer Butler, Geoff Tate, Gigantour, Guns N' Roses, Iron Maiden, Jason Ward, Jim Norton, Kvelertak, L.A. Guns, Lita Ford, Lyle Cooper, Mayhem Fest, Megadeth, Metallica, Michael Grant, Motley Crue, Motorhead, Myles Kennedy, NAMM, New England Metal and Hardcore Fest, Overkill, Ozzfest, Ozzfest Japan, Ozzy Osbourne, Poison, Queensryche, Rikki Rockett, Roadkill, Roadrunner Records, Rob Zombie, Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival, Schecter Guitars, Sepultura, Slash, Slipknot, Steel Panther, Testament, The Conspirators, The Faceless, The Treatment, Tool, Trapped Under Ice, Twisted Sister, Whitesnake, Zakk Wylde | Leave a comment