- In what came as as a shock to metalheads everywhere, Slayer drummer Dave Lombardo was allegedly fired for questioning contractual matters. You can read the full statement on his Facebook page.
Slayer released a statement shortly afterward, confirming that John Dette from Testament will be replacing Lombardo on the upcoming Australian tour. It is unclear when or if Lombardo will be readmitted into the band.
- Another shocking lineup change. Machine Head bassist Adam Duce has left the band. Robb Flynn remains the sole original member. An official statement released on the band’s website describes the split as “amicable,” and they wish Duce the best in his future endeavors.
- Loudwire premiered Anthrax’s new cover of AC/DC’s “T.N.T.” Their covers album, “Anthems,” will be released March 19.
In other Anthrax news, former guitarist Rob Caggiano performed onstage with Volbeat for the first time.
(link from Blabbermouth.net)
- Ghost B.C. (formerly known as Ghost) released the music video for their single “Secular Haze”. They also released the album artwork for “Infestissumam,” which goes onsale April 19.
- A new TV commercial was unveiled to promote the 2013 Revolver Golden God Awards, which will take place May 2. The video features Chris Jericho, Zakk Wylde, Sebastian Bach and others. Metallica is headlining the show. You can vote for the award recipients here.
- Skid Row debuted a preview of their new single, “Kings of Demolition” and announced that they have signed a deal with Megaforce Records. Their new EP, “United World Rebellion – Chapter One,” will be released in North America April 16.
- Other bands that have released studio updates this week: Megadeth, Children of Bodom, Steel Panther, Deep Purple.
- The official Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival lineup for 2013 will be released on March 18. A rumored lineup includes Rob Zombie, Five Finger Death Punch, Lamb of God, Children of Bodom and Amon Amarth.
Thus concludes this week in metal.
February 23, 2013 | Categories: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Music, Music News, Speed Metal, Thrash Metal | Tags: ac/dc, adam duce, Anthrax, Children of Bodom, chris jericho, dave lombardo, Deep Purple, ghost, ghost b.c., jeff hanneman, john dette, kerry king, Lamb of God, machine head, Mayhem Fest, Megadeth, megaforce records, Metallica, revolver golden god awards, revolver magazine, Rob Caggiano, robb flynn, Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival, sebastian bach, secular haze, skid row, Slayer, Steel Panther, t.n.t., Testament, tom araya, united world rebellion, Volbeat, Zakk Wylde | Leave a comment
February 2, 2013 | Categories: Concerts, Heavy Metal, Music, Thrash Metal | Tags: 4ARM, Alex Skolnick, Arizona, Bobby Blitz Ellsworth, Chuck Billy, Dark Roots of Thrash, Eric Peterson, heavy metal, Marquee Theater, Overkill, Tempe, Testament, Thrash Metal | Leave a comment
This week in metal was a hard one to cover due to the excitement surrounding NAMM. So here are the highlights of this week:
- Ozzfest Japan 2013 will take place in May and feature Black Sabbath. Other bands include: Slipknot, Slash featuring Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators, Deftones, Tool, The Treatment, Dir En Grey and Steel Panther.
- Dave Mustaine revealed that Megadeth will embark on a short tour with Iron Maiden in Spain, Italy, and France. He said that Megadeth is nearly finished recording their fourteenth album, but did not reveal what record label they have signed with. Mustaine also gave some hints as to what bands will be on Gigantour 2013. He said they are “notorious bad boys”. Perhaps they will tour with Mötley Crüe once again?
- Dee Snider (Twisted Sister) was the subject of an all-star roast featuring Lita Ford, Zakk Wylde and Jim Norton.
- Ray Burton, father of deceased Metallica bassist Cliff Burton, signed autographs at the ARIA Guitars booth at NAMM.
- Drummer Tommy Aldridge rejoined Whitesnake.
- A preview of the new 3D Guns N’ Roses concert film is now available.
- L.A. Guns posted the first photo of their new lineup featuring guitarist Michael Grant (Endeverafter).
- A preview of the new Motörhead book “Roadkill” went online.
- Geoff Tate’s Queensryche revealed a new lineup.
- The Dillinger Escape Plan and Trapped Under Ice were added to New England Metal and Hardcore Fest.
- A Sepultura biography is due for release later this year.
- Roadrunner Records signed Kvelertak.
- Poison drummer Rikki Rockett will star in a new reality series called “American Drums”.
- Flotsam and Jetsam bassist Jason Ward will not be joining the band on their upcoming tour with Testament and Overkill due to family commitments.
- Drummer Lyle Cooper quits The Faceless.
- A rumored lineup of Mayhem Fest includes Rob Zombie, Amon Amarth, Deftones, and Children of Bodom. The official lineup will be released Mar.18.
Thus concludes TBOS’s “This Week In Metal”.
January 27, 2013 | Categories: Glam Metal, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Music, Music News, Speed Metal, Thrash Metal | Tags: American Drums, Amon Amarth, ARIA guitars, Black Sabbath, Children of Bodom, Cliff Burton, Dave Mustaine, David Ellefson, Dean guitars, Dee Snider, Deftones, Dillinger Escape Plan, Dir En Grey, Endeverafter, Flotsam and Jetsam, Geezer Butler, Geoff Tate, Gigantour, Guns N' Roses, Iron Maiden, Jason Ward, Jim Norton, Kvelertak, L.A. Guns, Lita Ford, Lyle Cooper, Mayhem Fest, Megadeth, Metallica, Michael Grant, Motley Crue, Motorhead, Myles Kennedy, NAMM, New England Metal and Hardcore Fest, Overkill, Ozzfest, Ozzfest Japan, Ozzy Osbourne, Poison, Queensryche, Rikki Rockett, Roadkill, Roadrunner Records, Rob Zombie, Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival, Schecter Guitars, Sepultura, Slash, Slipknot, Steel Panther, Testament, The Conspirators, The Faceless, The Treatment, Tool, Trapped Under Ice, Twisted Sister, Whitesnake, Zakk Wylde | Leave a comment